Sunday, April 26, 2009

Detroit~Michigan~Layoffs and Cobra Insurance

Well it has happened to us. My husband was laid off this week. I know everyone is affected by this crappy economy in one way or another, but if you live in Michigan, especially in the Detroit area, you are pretty much #$%&%@!!! Anything and everything we do here in this area is automotive related. So, it looks like we will be going on Cobra starting next month. I am not sure what to do now. Should I continue with the proceedings and try to get banded, while I have insurance? Or hold off until, things are more stable and he is reemployed? I guess my worry is, what if I have complications down the road at some point and we are not insured? My husband thinks we should go for it now and deal with what ever comes up later, then. Not a good time here in Michigan.


  1. First of all...that sucks. I am sorry to hear about that. My boyfriend does service work for big companies around here, and he is getting less and less work and is required to take one day off without pay a I can only imagine how you guys are feeling.
    You of course have to decide what will work for you but I would still go for the surgery while you have insurance. Find out what fills would run you without insurance first. But, if its covered now...worry about the "what if's" later. That's always been my philosophy, and I dont know if it's the best thing...and I run the risk of sounding pollyana...but I try not to fret over the future too much, bc you never know what will come your way...good or bad.

    None of that is helpful :(

    Let us know what you decide!

  2. Thanks Amy. . . I will let you know.

  3. My heart goes out to you. But I agree with your husband. Go forward and see what the future holds. You've committed to this process, and if, in the unlikely event that something does not go as planned, you will deal with it as it comes. My only regret with my band is not doing this earlier! Wishing you the very best of luck and am sending good job vibes!